February 916, 2020
Quark Expeditions World Explorer
Experience the fastest, most direct way to Antarctica, flying over the Drake Passage. Explore King George Island and the Antarctic Peninsula!
You’re ready to explore King George Island and the Antarctic Peninsula—and no Drake Passage crossings are required! With a spectacular aerial view, included charter flights between Punta Arenas and Antarctica have you experiencing the majesty of the 7th continent before transferring you to your ship in no time.
Keep your camera ready as you cruise in a Zodiac in search of whales, seabirds and astounding icebergs. Beaches dotted with leopard seals and penguins give way to icy plateaus, with snow- capped mountain peaks looming behind. You’ll find yourself thankful for the near-constant sunlight by which you can continue to take it all in.
Distinct and comfortable, refined and roomy—these attributes and more describe World Explorer.
The personal space on the World Explorer is exceptional. Every cabin has either a private walk-out or Juliet balcony for direct ocean views. World Explorer also delivers plenty of public areas to unwind in after a day outdoors, including the glass-domed Observation Lounge for quiet contemplation and full skyline views, the Explorer Lounge for a drink and a chat, and the library for more intimate relaxing and reading. Presentations and discussions are facilitated in a dedicated lecture theater.
Health and wellness facilities feature an outdoor running track, a small gym and a sauna, plus a spa with change rooms, showers and lockers. For the active adventurers, add-ons include kayaking, camping and stand-up paddle boarding.
Blending high design with total functionality, World Explorer is all set to be your home away from home on the seas.
World Explorer will be an environmentally friendly polar expedition ship, incorporating advanced marine technology with a hybird propulsion fuel-efficient Rolls Royce Diesel Electric engine.
• Chef-prepared meals (all meals and daily snack included)
• One dining room with unreserved seating
• Included alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages served at Dinner
• Bar staffed by a professional bartender serving a selection of soft drinks, juices, liquors, spirits, beer and wine, which can be charged to your shipboard account
• Comfortable lounge area for reading or relaxing with a cup of coffee
• Observation decks for spotting wildlife and enjoying the ever-changing polar landscape
• Polar library stocked with a large collection of polar books, and games
• Pool & sauna
• Spa facilities and wellness program
• Lecture theatre
• Polar Boutique
• Ship-to-shore satellite communications with email and wireless Internet access
• Zodiac Cruising (included)
• Kayaking (additional charge)
• Camping (additional charge)
• Standup Paddleboarding (additional charge)
• All cabins have exterior views and private bathroom facilities
• TV and safe in every cabin
• Individual temperature controls
• Electrical supply: 220v
• Arrival Transfer upon arrival on February 9, 2020 Presidente Carlos Ibáñez del Campo International Airport to Dreams Hotel, Casino & Spa, Punta Arenas, Chile
• One Pre-Cruise overnight accommodations at Dreams Hotel in standard room with Breakfast included February 9 – 10, 2020
• Group dinner and briefing approx. 6pm at Dreams Hotel on February 9, 2020
• Group Transfer from Dreams Hotel to Presidente Carlos Ibáñez del Campo International Airport February 10, 2020
• Group charter flight aboard DAP airlines Punta Arenas to King George Island, Antarctica February 10, 2020
• Group land transfer to and from King George Island to World Explorer via zodiac February 10 and 15, 2020
• Group charter flight aboard DAP airlines King George Island to Punta Arenas February 15, 2020
• Group Transfer from Presidente Carlos Ibáñez del Campo International Airport to Dreams Hotel, February 15, 2020
• One Post-Overnight accommodations Dreams Hotel in standard room with breakfast included, February 15-16, 2020
• Shipboard accommodation with housekeeping
• Shipboard breakfasts, lunches and dinners
• Included alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages served at Dinner
• Brand g Exclusive – shipboard credit of $100 per guest for use in the On Board Boutique and Bar
• Professional Expedition Leadership
• All Zodiac excursions and transfers included in daily program
• Formal and informal educational presentations by the Expedition Team
• Photographic Journal online link provided
• An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep
• The loan of a pair of waterproof boots for the duration of the voyage
• Toiletries, Towels, Hair dryer and Bathrobes in each cabin
• Comprehensive pre-departure package including Quark’s Antarctic Reader and map
• All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
• All shipboard luggage handling
• Emergency Evacuation Insurance to a maximum benefit of $500,000 USD per person
• International and Domestic airfare not mentioned
• Passport and visa expenses (if required)
• Meals ashore, other than specified above
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Excess baggage charges
• Phone and Internet charges
• Shipboard communication charges, laundry and other personal charges
• Optional adventure activities
• Voyage-end gratuities for Crew, Hospitality and Expedition Team members
FAQ - Preparations for the trip
What to pack
All Quark voyages include an expedition parka to keep and a loan of appropriate polar footwear.
For shore landings you should plan to bring base layers (wool, synthetic or a blend); mid layer – warm fleece top and pants; wool and synthetic socks (3 – 4 pair); glove liners; neck warmer or balaclava; warm hat that covers the ears; waterproof pants; waterproof gloves; suncreen; sun glasses with UV protection.
Other suggested items include: waterproof lightweight backpack or drysack; swimsuit for polar plunge; binoculars; camera with extra batteries; extra memory cards; sea sickness, indigestion, headache and other over the counter medications as well as prescriptions.
For land and on board the World Explorer: comfortable, casual clothing (pants, jeans, shirts, sweaters and sweatshirts); lighter shirts in case the ship gets warm; comfortable non-slip, close toed, unheeled shoes; swimwear and gym clothes.
If you’re planning to bring a serious camera we’d suggest you consider the following: telephoto and wide angle lens; extra batteries; polarizing filter to help with reflections off the water; tripod; waterproof camera bag; zip lock bags to protect the camera and lens from condensation; laptop to store/edit photos.
The electrical current in Chile and on board is 220V. Guests should be sure to bring the appropriate converter for devices that are not dual voltage. The plug configuration on board the World Explorer and in Chili is type C (standard round two-pronged plug).
Gratuities are customary expressions of appreciation for a job well done. It is our goal to ensure that the service you receive is as wonderful as the sites you visit. Gratuities have not been included in your program fare, and have not been added to your reservation. At your own discretion you may choose to provide tips at the end of the cruise.
The comfort and safety of our guests is our first priority. Smoking is not permitted in the suites or enclosed, public areas on board the ship. Smoking will only be permitted in designated areas on open decks. Land properties will have designated smoking areas.
Vaccination & Health Information
There are no required vaccination requirements for citizens of most countries entering Chile or Antarctica. However, we suggest each guest make an appointment with a Travel Medicine Specialist to discuss your individual needs and health concerns.
An Emergency Evacuation insurance policy (maximum benefit of $500,000) is included in the rate. However, it does not provide coverage for cancellation, medical expenses, or baggage. Quark Expeditions requires that all passengers provide proof of out of country medical insurance which must include a minimum USD $50,000 of emergency medical coverage and in addition, strongly recommends they purchase a comprehensive policy to cover themselves for cancellation and baggage.